Sunday, October 13, 2013

A good man is hard to find

I was walking into the mall this week to make a quick return.  As I walked into the mall, I noticed an older gentlemen standing there holding open the door for me.  He said he had heard me coming  (noisy shoes that day and I was walking quickly since I was in a bit of a hurry), so he stood there and waited for me to get to the door and held it open for me.  This is how our conversation went.

Me: Thank you!  Chivalry is becoming a lost art these days!
Gent: Yes it is, young lady.
Me: A good man  is hard to find!
Gent: You're right about that.  All of these young boys are giving us good men a bad name.
Me: {laughter}  Well, you know what, I'm thankful, because I still found myself a good one.
Gent: Good for you, young lady.  You look like you deserve a good one.  Have a good day!
Me: You too, and thanks again!


I walked away from that conversation with a smile on my face.  I was grinning for several reasons.  First, because I couldn't help but think of the good man that was given to me to be my husband.  I was also grinning because it gave me joy to take 20 seconds out of my day to talk to someone who probably needed someone to talk to.  I put my own hurried agenda aside, and thanked someone who showed a simple act of kindness.  All he did was open the door for me, but that little act showed me that there are good people left in this world.  Good people doing good things, and sometimes we're too busy following our own agendas that we don't take time to notice these things.  Little moments from God all around us that we miss every day because we're too busy or in too much of a hurry to see them.


A good man is hard to find, but I'm glad that God blessed me with the best one out there.





No comments: