Friday, June 26, 2009

My latest project






A few months ago, our small group made our bucket lists. I know it sounds kind of morbid, but we wanted to make a list of goals we had for our life- tangible and intangible. My personal challenge was to complete one thing a year on my bucket list. One of the things on the list was to learn how to sew. As most of you know, I'm a pretty crafty person and love to do crafty projects. So, sewing was just another thing to add to the list! A couple of sewing master friends from school (thanks, Sandy and Linda!!) came over yesterday to teach me how to sew. I stole my mother-in-law's sewing machine, which was still brand new in the box, and started my sewing lessons right away. Before I knew it, I was sewing diagonals in squares for a rag quilt. Sandy helped cut the material, but I did the majority of the sewing. I worked ALL day yesterday on the quilt. Poor Kaden! :) He was such a good boy and played nicely. One of my own personal "faults" is that once I get started on a project, I can't stop. I was enjoying making my quilt so much I kept working and working on it. After 3 different needles, many replaced bobbins, and some mistakes along the way (the seam ripper is a great tool!!!), I managed to finish putting all of the pieces together. I washed it to help "rag" the quilt, and admired my finished product. Is it perfect? Not at all. However, I take pride in the fact that I learned something new and enjoyed it. Sewing new burp cloths is on the list for sewing projects next week! :)

No comments: