Friday, November 19, 2010

Becoming a Big Boy, Part 2

First of all, when I saw this shirt at Gymboree during their Friends & Family sale, I decided Kaden really needed to have it, given the theme of these blogs lately, and due to his love of trains. He really is becoming so much more grown up as the weeks go by. It makes me to sad to think about how quickly time flies, and that he's not my little baby anymore!





Part 2 of becoming a big boy was moving into his new bedroom and sleeping in a big boy bed. We made the transition about a month ago. It was a tough decision for me. I didn't know when the perfect time was for moving him out of his crib, and since there wasn't a need for the crib for another baby, I didn't feel the rush to move him out of there. Plus, I liked him being contained. Selfishly, I knew if I put him in there, he couldn't get out. He tried, but hadn't been successful at getting out yet. After weeks of Kaden waking up during the night and wanting to do nothing except sleep in our bed, I knew something had to be done. I was sick of not getting a full night's sleep, and having him in our bed constantly. Around this same time Kaden also started talking about a big boy bed, so we began our quest. I got a great deal on the platform bed with drawers underneath it, and a matching dresser. I got my bargain headboard and toy chest from Target awhile back (you probably remember my blog about my major bargains!!). I knew we were doing a sports theme in his room, and had begun picking up things here and there. My mom also helped me find great deals on the bedding through Pottery Barn Kids sales and good old Home Goods. You may be wondering why I haven't posted this sooner- I know some of you have been asking me for pictures for weeks now. Well, for those of you who know me well, I like projects finished. I like having a plan and everything in place before I showcase it. So, I was waiting until all of the elements were put in place. The Pottery Barn baseball bat corkboard was on backorder, and finally arrived this week, so we could put the finishing touches on the wall and I could finally blog about it!

The transition to the big boy bed was a bit rough in the beginning. Bedtime was a disaster, he didn't want to stay in his bed, and oftentimes I'd find him playing basketball at 7am in the living room. So, after fighting the fight, we decided to put a gate on his room door. This prevented the eating cupcake event at 7am, and waking up in the middle of the night and suddenly appearing by my bed. I think the gate solved a lot of our problems. He knows he can't get out, so I think he figures he might as well just go back to sleep. Now, each morning around 7:30am, I hear a little voice calling from the hallway...."Mommy.... Mommy..... all done...... play basketball...... wake up, Mommy!!" The calling gets progressively louder, and when I go to get him he gives me a huge hug and kiss. Everyone's happy. We all sleep through the night, and wake up cheery and full of love in the morning. Welcome to big boyhood part 2, Kaden.



A few of my favorite things from his room:
Basketball hoop hamper

Baseball lamp



No comments: