Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The big 3-0

No, not 30 weeks pregnant (I WISH!, although only a few short of that!). It's hard to believe I'm officially 30 years old. For some reason, turning 30 seemed like such a bigger deal to me than many of my birthdays in the past. There's nothing really special about turning 30, other than I'm done with my 20's, but I suppose that's what made it a bigger deal. I remember the days when I used to continually look ahead towards those milestone birthdays- becoming an official teenager at 13, driving at 17 (yes, that's how old we had to be in NJ to drive... I wish MI were the same way!), being able to vote as an official adult at 18, being able to enjoy an adult beverage now and then at age 21, renting a car at 25. What other age milestones does one look forward to after this.... 65 when I can collect social security that probably won't be there for me when I get to be that age anyway?!?

Well, the big 3-0 was inevitable, I suppose. My day was pretty good- nothing extremely out of the ordinary, but also not filled with all of the ordinary events that seem to fill my days at home. My day started at 7:55am when my Grandma VDH called me to wish me a happy birthday. She's notorious for calling bright and early to wish me a bubbly, "Happy Birthday, Yen" in her thick Dutch accent on my special day, and while she may have woken up my child by calling so early, someday I'll miss those phone calls. Each of those phone calls involves her reminiscing about the day I was born and that I looked like an angel, followed by lots of encouragement that God is good. I love my grandma and don't want imagine my life without her. We've always had a special relationship since I'm her only granddaughter. After talking to Grandma, my hubby got me an egg and cheese bagel sandwich for breakfast, and then we went to another doctor's appointment together. I got to see my girls VERY briefly, long enough to make sure their heartbeats were strong (which they were), and that they had enough fluid (which they did). I went shopping at Marshalls kid-free (thanks, Grandma Rysdam!) and had lunch with an old friend who came in town to visit me! Naptime was spent wasting time online and talking to friends and family who called to wish me a happy birthday. Kaden and I met Andy downtown for dinner at One Trick Pony since their chips and cheese were calling my name! :) We ended the night by using my birthday coupon at Coldstone for a yummy treat, where Kaden of course threw a fit because I couldn't hold my ice cream and his at the same time, while also eating mine and feeding him his. Then of course he wanted to eat everyone else's ice cream but his own and then of course his own spoon wasn't good enough..... hmm... perhaps that was more of an ordinary event! :) After Kaden was in bed I spent some time sewing and working on some projects for the twinners, which is definitely something I enjoy doing. It would have been nice to celebrate a bit more or at least enjoy my favorite margarita at On the Border, but my present condition will put that on hold for a bit! :)

I tried to think about what I would do if I had a day all to myself on my birthday. Honestly, I couldn't really think of anything that different than what I did. I got to "see" all of my children, I spent time with my family and friends, did a little shopping, relaxed, ate well, and had a chance to spend time on one of my favorite hobbies. What else could someone ask for on their birthday? I didn't do laundry- that waited until today, I didn't cook, I didn't empty the dishwasher or clean, I just enjoyed the day. Not bad I guess.

When I think about all that lay ahead for me, I can't help but be thankful and feel incredibly blessed. I always used to joke that I was going to be done having all of my kids by the time I was 30. I didn't think that was going to happen once we actually started our family, but my goal isn't too far from being accomplished. I have 2 kids on the way and approximately 3 months into 30, I'll have 3 kids and our family will be complete. So, today, my first full day enjoying life as a 30 yr. old, I'll savor each moment, continue to thank God for the many blessings He has given me in the past, present and future, and live life to the fullest.

No comments: