Tuesday, May 10, 2011

17 weeks

Well, I'm in my 17th week already. Hard to believe how fast it's going, yet I know that I still have a long way to go! I'm looking forward to having time at home this summer to enjoy Kaden before our lives change forever in the fall. In two weeks my grades are due and then I'll move myself out of my office and wrap things up by the end of May, so the end is in sight (bittersweet, another blog post about this in the next weeks I'm sure). I don't have any belly pictures yet, mostly because I'm just starting to show more. I thought for sure I'd be showing more and much faster, given the fact that it's my 2nd pregnancy and twins, but it hasn't been too bad! Most of my non-maternity pants don't fit, and it's still the in-between stage right now. If only I could find the perfect pair of maternity jeans, now. Sigh.

Generally, I feel great. I enjoy eating pretty regularly throughout the day, but not in excess as people may assume with twins. If I can get protein and carbs before lunch (Bagel Beanery is my favorite hang out these days for egg and cheese bagel sandwiches. Good thing they have TRIP!), I'm good to go for the day. I get tired faster and fall asleep if I let myself sit on the couch, so I try not to do that much. I'm thankful for a smooth 2nd trimester thus far!

I started to feel a significant amount of movement over the past week. I had felt a few things here and there before then and thought it might be the babies, but this week it's pretty obvious. When we had our ultrasound yesterday, it's clear that I feel Baby B who is much closer to the surface and a crazy mover. Baby A is nestled deep in there and perfectly content to just chill :) When I played the piano in church on Sunday Baby B was going crazy- I think they love music already. I love being able to feel movement, it's so reassuring and a reminder of the 2 blessings growing inside of me.

Yesterday was our anatomy ultrasound. A couple of weeks earlier than most people get their ultrasounds, but because I had been going every 4 weeks for ultrasound, it's just how the schedule fell. Everything looked great- 20 fingers and 20 toes, lots of heart chambers, kidneys, spines, brains, etc. There is plenty of fluid for the babes and my cervix is cooperating nicely. Each baby weighs between 5-6 ounces, and their head size is 1 1/2 inches. Isn't that amazing?!?!? We're so thankful that everything is developing and pray that continues for many more weeks to come! We had hoped to find out the gender of the twinners yesterday, but it didn't quite work out that way. The ultrasound technician was able to get some between-the-leg photos, but she was afraid to make the call one way or the other. Since there are 2 in there, we want to be 100% sure of the gender, so we'll wait it out a little longer, and I'm okay with that!

At this point we'll now start seeing my OB/GYN every month as I have been, and my high risk doctor every 2 weeks. Each of the high risk appointments will have an ultrasound- some really quick to check fluid and cervix, others longer to continue to check their development. I must admit, I kind of like being able to see them so often. We're hoping that during the next ultrasound in 2 weeks we'll confirm our gender predictions from yesterday :).

And now for a face view of the twinners: (the other ultrasound pics from yesterday weren't really that good)




As I mentioned earlier, Baby B is quite the feisty little guy or gal. He/she kept kicking Baby A in the head and punching Baby A in the legs with their arms (with a membrane in between of course). They're at it already.... we're doomed! :) Here's proof:

No comments: