Sunday, May 1, 2011

New Bike

We knew that we needed to buy a new bike for Kaden this year since he had outgrown his toddler-type bikes from last year. I had been looking around but couldn't find anything that seemed like it would work. The 12" bikes were too small and babyish, and the 16" ones looked huge! In the meantime, I knew I wanted to keep my eyes open at garage sales to see if I could find something. Well, sure enough... I was getting ready for work a week or so ago and noticed my neighbor setting up for her garage sale and a bike out for display. I ran over there and it was exactly what I needed. Plus, it was a 14" bike, and the perfect match for Kaden. Needless to say Daddy wanted to make some improvements on it, and now it's perfect for Kaden. We got him fitted for a helmet and bought new wheels and training wheels at a local bike shop and waited for a nice day. Once the first somewhat nice day came, Andy put it all together for Kaden and he's wanted to ride it everyday since. He still has trouble stopping (hasn't quite figured out how to turn the pedals backwards yet to stop), so I'm sure his shoes will be nice and worn out by the time this season is done since he drags them on the ground to stop! He also has some trouble turning and steering, but I'm sure he'll get the hang of it in no time at all. He looks so grown up riding his bike- I can't believe how fast time goes!

And as the famous Mastercard commercials go....

$10 bike at garage sale
$32 helmet
$20 training wheels
$14 wheels
Watching Kaden enjoy his first "real" bike.... priceless.

(Just a note... the bike (not including the helmet- we'd be buying that either way) still ended up being cheaper than the new ones at the store despite our fixing it up... woo whoo!!).


Helping Daddy put on the new wheels (check out my hot new wheels in the background... another post to come on this in a bit)


Getting up close to help Daddy


Showing off his new bike


Cutest bike rider I've ever seen :)

No comments: