Monday, October 22, 2012

Moving Day

I'm totally behind in blogging.  Like a month behind.  So even though we've already moved, I wanted to make sure these important life events were documented.

Tuesday, Sept.25 was our official moving day.  On Saturday, Sept.22 we moved everything that we needed for the next 5 months to my mother-in-law's condo, and we spent the day on Sunday getting us settled in there.  Our first night staying with Grandma was that Sunday night.  We spent the next week going back and forth to the house, cleaning things, making sure that everything was packed, etc.  The movers came on Tuesday, Sept.25, and by then everything left in the house, garage, and shed had to be taken to the storage unit.  2 guys worked all day wrapping our furniture with padding and making trips to the storage unit.  Our unit is packed to the brim!  It's kind of a weird feeling knowing that your life's belongings are being held in a storage unit.  Thankfully we got insurance, so at least I can sleep at night knowing we'd be taken care of if something were to happen to all of our stuff. 

Moving and living somewhere else temporarily makes you really think about all of the "stuff" in your life that's really unnecessary.  You realize your kids have way too many toys, you realize that everyone has so much clothes you don't need to do laundry for weeks.  You realize you don't need to keep your final exams from high school any longer, and that teachers just carry a lot of stuff with them.  I think we had over 20+ boxes of just books! :)  It was sickening to realize how much stuff we've actually accumulated over the past 8 years, yet freeing to get rid of quite a bit.  At the end of the day, as long as I have those I love around me, I really don't care about all of that other stuff.  I told Andy that we clearly have everything we actually need here with us at my mother-in-law's house and that we should just have an auction to get rid of everything in the storage unit.  I suppose that would present some problems when we move into our new house and have no furniture! :)  Definitely puts a whole new perspective on buying/getting rid of stuff, and while I'm blessed to have more than I need, I've challenged myself to think more carefully when I purchase and be more stewardly when it comes to my earthly belongings.


Our mess at my mother-in-law's house.  We've definitely taken over the basement.


The house getting emptied- room by room.


You never know what you might find hidden in your furniture when you move it.  A can of white hominy.  This dates back to a Christmas party almost 2 years ago, maybe more?!?  Love our friends.


Cleaning the cupboards


It's hard to describe the feeling you get when you drive up to your house and see a moving truck.  Happy and sad all at the same time.

No comments: