Tuesday, August 30, 2011

32: The "magic" week

Since the very beginning of this twin pregnancy, the doctors have talked about the "magic" number of 32 weeks. It's hard to believe that 3 days ago I reached that magic week. It makes me feel a whole lot better about this pregnancy, knowing that if the girls were born tomorrow, they'd likely be okay (given some time in the NICU of course). I know there's never any guarantees with anything in life, but it's nice to celebrate this milestone after so many bumps in the road in the beginning.

With this milestone brings some changes, as each milestone does. I've started swelling in my ankles and hands, and developed carpal tunnel as a result. Thankfully the carpal tunnel is pregnancy induced and should go away after the girls are born. The carpal tunnel brings numbness to my right hand during most of the day and lots of pain at night when I'm trying to sleep. Go figure- this is what keeps me from sleeping at night! I finally got a wrist splint that I wear at night, which is helping. As far as the cankles are concerned, well, I just laugh about them, wear a few pairs of flip-flops that work and keep my feet up as much as possible. I'm also starting to have a lot less energy than I normally do. If I get a little caffeine in me (either a can of soda or a starbucks caramel frap), then I'm good to go for the day, otherwise I'm exhausted by 4pm. Usually I have a whole list of things I want to get accomplished after Kaden goes to bed, but these days I tend to relax a bit more, which I know is necessary, and I'm okay with that. I feel bad on some days when I can't play with Kaden as much as he wants me to, but I'm thankful I can still be home with him and live as normally as possible with NO bedrest- woo whoo!!

Update on the babes: My doctor measured me yesterday and I'm measuring at 40 weeks pregnant if I were pregnant with a single baby. So all of those moms out there who know what it's like to be 40 weeks pregnant, imagine feeling that way for another 5 weeks or so. Super, huh? :) I'm not dilated at all, and the doctors keep telling me how wonderfully I'm doing, which we're very thankful for. We had our first non-stress test this morning, which I passed, and another full ultrasound, which I managed to get through without any major issues- woo whoo!! Baby girl A weighs in around 4lbs, and Baby girl B weighs in around 4lb, 9oz. So I'm walking around with over 8lbs of baby and have some time to go! We have a scheduled c-section for Thursday, Oct.6, which is almost at my 38 week mark. I DO NOT want to make it that long. My ob/gyn was hoping to schedule it earlier, but the hospital was all booked. She said it's very likely that I'll go on my own before then, which I'm hoping is the case. The high risk doctor today seemed more reassuring that we could move that date if we needed to, and they would keep an eye on things as we progressed and assess it each week.

At this point I have 2 NST's a week, 1 ob/gyn visit a week, and ultrasounds and a visit with a high risk dr. every 2 weeks. Needless to say, my schedule for September is full of dr's appointments. I will be glad when they're all over with, as it gets to be kind of hard finding places for Kaden to go all of the time. Everything is ready to go, and at this point we're just going through each day thankful for the days that pass and excited about what the next month or so will bring.

Check out the enormous 32-week belly! :)


Not the best picture of me, but Andy managed to snap a photo of Kaden kissing his baby sisters, so I had to include it :)



This big brother is very excited to meet his new sisters!


Baby B was most cooperative this morning for the 3D ultrasounds. Look at that adorable face! :)


And of course, the profile view. Again, Baby B was the most photogenic this morning.

No comments: