Sunday, May 27, 2012

To nap, or not to nap.... that is the question


We've been transitioning to less naps during the day for Kaden.  I'm thankful that he's been a good napper for this long, and he's 1 1/2 months away from turning 4.  For awhile we were doing a nap every other day, and that seemed to be working out pretty well.  On the days that he would take a nap he wouldn't go to bed as easily, and when we skipped a nap, those nighttimes seemed like a breeze.  Typically his naps are 1-1 1/2 hours, but just enough to take his edge off.  Napping means a smoother afternoon and dinnertime, but more excuses at bedtime, coming out of his room more often, etc.  Not napping usually means a meltdown at the dinner table or about some random thing late afternoon/early evening.  It's a toss-up.  When Kaden doesn't take a nap I still make him have quiet time in his room.  Last week I went to check up on him, and this is how I found him.  He was dressed in his pads, ready to play baseball and hockey it appears.  Clearly he decided he was tired and took a snoozer right on the floor.


I'm not so sure we're ready to give up naps over here.  I've accepted that he might be done with naps, or transitioning out, but I don't think he's ready.  We seem to have been dealing with more meltdowns and temper tantrums at night over the past week, so I've been making sure he takes a nap every day.  Even when he takes a nap, he has still been having major freak-outs about nothing.  It's frustrating when it doesn't seem like anything you say or do even begins to affect him.  I'm kind of sick of the kicking, screaming, and just plain crazy behavior.  I can't think of any reason as to why he'd be acting this way all of the sudden.  He's getting naps, there have been no changes in our nightly routine or family life, and he only does it at night- never during the day (okay, maybe once in a while, but that's just being a normal kid).  He was complaining that his leg hurt quite a bit the other night, so I'm wondering if he's growing and just going through a stage.  At least I hope it's a stage, because it's getting tiring.


I think I might need a nap.

No comments: