Friday, March 21, 2014

Lent- Day 17

49. Driving up to the mailbox- today I was able to drive up to the mailbox to put something in it on my way to work.  I couldn't even tell you the last time I was able to do that.  A hopeful blessing!

50. Energy and excitement- my students at Calvin were quite crazy during class today.  Energy and excitement filled the air since spring break would begin later that day.  I realized that it is so much more fun to teach a room full of students who are energized and excited.  I'm sure they would have rather been driving to FL than in class that afternoon, but they were there (well, most of them).  Happiness is contagious, and if we surround ourselves by people who are positive and happy, it can only have a positive impact on us.  However, if we surround ourselves with people who are negative all of the time, it can bring us down and cause us to be negative about unnecessary things.  This negativity can cause us to miss the blessings all around us.

51. Getting lost in the farmlands- I had to pick Kaden up from his friend's house this afternoon when I was done teaching.  I was running late and in a hurry, and decided to take what I thought would be a quicker, more direct route.  Well, I was wrong.  I ended up being lost for about 15 minutes (um, hello, why did it not occur to me to pull up the map on my phone??) driving around in the middle of Byron Center farmlands.  I've always been intrigued by the idea of living out in the middle of nowhere, where my neighbors are out of sight in every direction.  There must be something nice about having lots of space for kids to run, completely embraced by childhood, by nature, by a slower pace of life.  Don't get me wrong- I LOVE where we live, and I can still embrace these things.  However, I think that God forced me to get lost among the cows to slow me down.  To remind me that it's not a race, that life will go on if I'm 15 minutes late, that we need to embrace a simple life.  A life where we can run, play, and enjoy the beauty around us.

No comments: