Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lent Day 2

Blessings continued on day 2....

4. Unexpected encouragement from a friend

5. Spilled cereal in the closet and broken makeup. I was rushing around this morning trying to get everyone ready for a playdate and I was already running late.  My patience was wearing thin, and after putting socks on the girls for the 3rd time this morning, I turned to grab their shoes from the closet and noticed that Maya had spilled her cereal on the floor in the closet.  Since I was already crabby about several incidents this morning, I normally would have lost it.  I sighed, LOUDLY, and turned to look at Maya.  Only when doing so, did I realize that she had knocked it over when she was trying to reach for her shoes.  She was trying to be a big girl, trying to help her frazzled mama, and accidentally knocked over her bowl of cereal.  

     Fast forward 5 minutes.  I was putting my makeup on before we walked out the door, and Makenna reached for my makeup holder and knocked it off the counter.  I watched as it crashed to the floor.  The plastic case cracked, along with my blush and eye shadow- cracked into 30 pieces all over the floor.  I have to admit.  I yelled.  I was almost at my breaking point by now.  However, I know this precious babe just wanted to be like her mama.  She's looking up to me as an example, and trying to get my makeup and put it on would make her just like me.

     On only day 2 of this experience, I'm realizing that a lot of the change happening in me is perspective.  I could look at the negative of these two experiences- two inconveniences this morning that created a mess that I needed to pick up.  Or, I could look at them as blessings.  Things to slow me down in my hurried, frenzied mess, to remind me that life goes by too quickly.  I have two girls who want to help, who are trying to grow up way too quickly, and want to be just like their mama.  I want to teach them the patience of Christ, the joy in all situations, and not yell and be quick to react to the "problem." As I reflect on this now, I can't help but tear up.  God is teaching me to slow down, to enjoy these moments, because before I know it, they'll be gone.

6. Neighbors who couldn't play today.  I know, it sounds funny, but hear me out.  Kaden had asked if he could play in the snow with his friends this afternoon, and when he went over to their house to ask, they weren't available to play.  He came inside, bummed, and asked, "now what am I going to do, Mom?"  I suggested he sled down the side of the house, like he always liked to.... but by himself. I took a look at my messy house, thought about the dinner I should start, and made a decision.  "Girls, we're going to go outside and play with Kaden."  Now, I have to tell you, this is a big deal.  Judge me if you want, but my girls haven't been outside to play in the snow yet this winter.  For awhile, it's been freezing, or way too much snow for them to play in.  They don't like being cold, and it's not like they've been begging to play outside.  They're pretty content staying inside and watching through the windows.  But on Tuesday, they were all asking to play outside and I avoided it.  I was selfish.  Honestly, I didn't feel like getting everyone all bundled up to end up back inside within 10 minutes.  But today would be different.  I bundled everyone up and brought the girls outside.  I wish I could have captured the look on their faces.  Mostly, I wish I could have felt Kaden's heart when he saw that we all came outside to play with him.  My heart felt warm for him.  He didn't even have to say anything.  The look in his eyes said it all.  Joy.  Had the neighbors been available to play, I never would have felt the spirit nudge me to take the time to play.  To put the messy house and my own agenda aside and just play.  To capture those smiles, and hear their squeals as they went down the little hill on their sleds.  I'll take that over a messy house any day.


 All bundled up!

Makenna and Kaden sledding down the hill together 


Maya trying to walk in the snow :)

No comments: